May 11, 2015

Winter In Pictures | My Solo Roadtrip In The USA


After returning from my roadtrip in the Maritimes, I knew I needed to leave again - that travel bug is definitely hard to get rid of(not that it's a bad thing)! Since I have been gone for five months and I even put The Beauty Hippie on hiatus, I feel like I owe my faithful readers and friends an explanation.



I talked about why I first started traveling in my post about my backpacking adventure in Europe, which is also why, two years after, I needed to leave again. On top of my wrecked emotional state, I was also dealing with topical steroid withdrawal all of the past year - I was honestly in the darkest place I have ever been in my life and I have never been more scared. I knew something needed to change, so I put all of my hope in this trip.


Reading travel blogs, researching the best routes and camping spots, exploring options on how to live in a car, and connecting with people who gave me tips and tricks, is what kept me going and fuelled my need to explore unknown territories. I decided that this trip would be kind of a pilgrimage to find myself. The last week of November, I woke up one morning and decided that I was leaving. I packed everything I would need in my car and drove, drove, and drove, without knowing eexactly where I was going, but south.


When I reached Florida, I was in awe with the amazing weather, the palm trees, the ocean... but I quickly realized that it was very different from Canada. At times I felt so unsafe and scared that I thought of going back home, but I knew I was stronger than that, and that I didn't come all the way just to back down at the first hardship. One morning, I drove by an equestrian campground, and that's the moment where everything changed. There, I met so many wonderful people who changed my life more than they will ever know.


I consider these people my other family. They were so nice and helpful, they introduced me to other people, they made me experience so many crazy opportunities... I eventually made my way to California, where I met other people on the way, and lived so many incredible things. When I think back to all of that, I feel like it was a dream. When I came back, I was changed. I had a new outlook on life, I had hope again, I had plans... I was me again.

As for The Beauty Hippie, I decided to take things slow. When you come home after five months, a lot of things need to be taken care of, and my website is not a priority for now. I just started a new job, I plan to go back to school, see the people I love more, travel more, read more books - live more! I am currently working on a few posts, but I am taking it one day at a time. Again, thank you so much for supporting me through all of that. I am more active on Instagram than anywhere else, so feel free to keep in touch!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures!
    to go to California that is my dream!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Some really great photos! I can see that you had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool tes photos Gaby! Yen a qui ressemblent a des photos Tumblr! Pis tu me donnes faim! Grr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved seeing these photos Gaby! So happy you did what you did and feel like you again. Def take it day by day and focus in your goals :):) so happy to hear from you again!!!! I missed my long lost friend!!

    ReplyDelete