Quantcast

October 10, 2014

September In Pictures | My Solo Roadtrip In The Maritimes


During my topical steroid withdrawal, I had plenty of time to reflect on my life since I was mostly housebound from March to August 2014. I don't really talk about my personal life on Gaby's Beauty Blog but I did share with you  a bit of what was going on in the post I wrote before leaving for my backpacking trip, in June 2013


Since returning home, I caught the travel bug - all I could think about was leaving again! I did leave for France and Italy about a month later, but things didn't exactly go as planned, so I started thinking about traveling by car the next time. In the meantime, things happened, including topical steroid withdrawal, which at first I thought would cancel all of my plans, but since there is always a good side to every bad thing, I was able to start to plan my roadtrip. My first idea was to explore Canada from east to west, and then the US, while "living" in my car to reduce my expenses to the maximum (I will probably write a post about this later). 


At the end of August, I started feeling better - in fact, I even though I was healed, but the healing with TSW is not linear - I kept hearing horror stories of people who thought they were healed, but then had a big setback. I was worried my condition would worsen overnight (this is what happens with TSW) if I ventured too far from home, but I really had to get out of the house and do something with myself, so I decided to start by exploring  the Maritimes (a region of Eastern Canada consisting of three provinces, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island). This short trip - as I am typing this, I am in the west of Nova Scotia, and I have been traveling for a bit more than a month - would serve as a test for my bigger trip thorough Canada and the US.  


I have been "living" in my car for a bit more than a month and so far, everything has been going very smoothly - even better than I could ever imagine! I have slept every night in my car - which I have modified a bit to accomodate a camping mattress and everything else I need to be comfy - I have cooked most of my meals on my car engine, and I have spent most of my time driving (of course), reading on the beach (who thought I would be sunbathing in September?!) and hiking in the moutains. I was also very happy to meet a fellow blogger from Quebec, Stephanie from Ms Bubu and her Girlyness - we even shared a poutine!


More adventures await me - if everything continues to go well, I will be helping in a organic farm in Southern Maine (thanks to HelpX) before heading home to see my family, grab a few things I will need (and drop off a few I won't) and prepare my trip in the south of the US for the winter. After that, who knows where life will take me? I am not really sure how the beauty aspect of my blog will turn out since I am not using any skincare or makeup product anymore (and my skin is doing better than ever!) but I will propably write a few posts regarding the different aspects of  "living" in a car, since I am getting a lot of questions regarding this, and I don't blame anyone - the first blogs I stumbled upon about this lifestyle are the reason which made me want to give it a try! Please feel free to follow my adventure through my Instagram, and wish me luck!

12 comments:

  1. Cool tes photos! Jaime celle de larc en ciel et celle des cygnes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome you went by yourself! I totally get wanderlust all the time but chicken out on going alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's normal to be scared of new things, I was too, but I really wanted it, so I went for it anyway!

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you are on the mend :) These pictures look amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! Those are gorgeous pictures and it speaks how much fun you had alone. I guess I'm just like you. When I left home last July on my own to explore my country and to know more of myself without the help of my parents and came back home after 2 months, all I could think about is to leave again.

    I hope you really get better soon after TSW..

    By the way, I followed you on Instagram. Maybe you can follow me back? :) It's _marieclara_

    I really love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is really important to learn to be comfortable with yourself - so many people rely on others for their own happiness, and that is very sad! Checking out your Instagram now x

      Delete
  5. Wow, quelles belles photos! Ce doit être un excellent trip pour se ressourcer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'était exactement le but, et c'est réussit!

      Delete
  6. Tes photos sont vraiment belles, j'en reviens pas!

    Quel beau trip! Ça m'intéresse de savoir comment voyager en vivant dans son auto, comment s'organiser, les trucs et tout! J'avais déjà lu un peu à ce sujet et je trouve que c'est un excellent moyen économique de voyager.

    Bof.. que tu parles de beauté ou non, je vais continuer de te lire Gaby ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, vraiment contente que ça t'intéresse, et de savoir que tu vas continuer à me suivre! Merci Véro! (:

      Delete