September 03, 2014

Shopping | My First Pretty Tea Order!


I have been wanting to try something else than David's Tea in terms of flavored teas for some times now since I think their products are overpriced and also full of things I don't necesseraly want in my teas like artificial flavourings and stevia. Most people raving about David's Tea are new to tea and have been too caught up in the hype to realize that, so they end up overlooking other great tea companies that offer comparable or even better quality. Personally, I like straight tea - even in bags - as much as the flavoured varieties, but I have been looking for a more affordable alternative to David's Tea - and I found Pretty Tea

I was really excited when Josianne introduced me to this Montreal-based business! Pretty Tea is just starting but they already offer a great variety of teas and I believe they have something for everyone. Their prices are cheaper than most tea companies I know and you even have the option to order 25g sample for as low as $2.95! After browsing their website, I figured out a couple of their teas would nicely complement my collection in prevision of the colder weather - can you believe fall is already upon us?!

  • Choco Latté ($12.50 for 100g bag + free tin) Tea, coffee and chocolat in one single delicous cup (Black tea (72%). Broken cocoa bits, brittle pieces (sugar, hazelnuts, invert sugar), chocolate chips (sugar, ground cocoa beans with cocoa butter, powdered cocoa, emulsifying agent: soy lecithin), roasted coffee beans, flavoring, freeze-dried yoghurt granules (skimmed milk yoghurt (lactose), sugar, maltodextrin, modified starch, citric acid)
  • Mate Carnival ($12.50 for 100g bag + free tin) A Mate tea with coffee - for when you really need to wake up! Did you know? The caffeine in Mate tea is bound to tannic substances and is set free in the body very mildly. Hence, its stimulating effect lasts longer than that of coffee. But since we know you need an extra kick, we also added coffee beans. Good morning sunshine! (roasted Mate, Rooibos, broken coffee beans, sunflowers, blue mallow flowers, marigold, cornflower, and coffee flavor)
  • Orange Blossom Oolong ($12.50 for 100g bag + free tin) Beautifil oolong tea flavored with pieces of orange for a light citrus taste. The leaves of this tea unfold greatly once in boiling water - freeing the sweet essence of orange blossom (oolong, orange zests, flavors)
  • Oolong Berry ($12.50 for 100g bag + free tin) This oolong tea is sweetened by the juicy flavours of the acai berries. Stock up on this great fruit antioxydant properties and sip on the exotic flavour (oolong, safflowers, blue flowers with acai berry flavor)

I really wanted to try other varieties of oolong tea since the only one I tried is Hao Tea 100% Natural Oolong Tea which can be found at Walmart for around $3 for 100 bags, which is actually quite good! I started drinking oolong tea about three months ago when I was in a especially rough patch of topical steroid withdrawal - I was recommended it for its anti-inflammatory properties but I soon discovered that it is one of the most beneficial tea to drink since oolong tea falls somewhere between green and black teas, as its leaves are only partially oxidized. This means that its health benefits are basically doubled because of the combined qualities of black tea and green tea. Orange Blossom Oolong is exactly what I was expecting: a very subtle taste of citrus complements this tea very nicely, and I think Oolong Berry is actually my favorite of the bunch! It is just sweet enough so that you don't have the impression to drink a glass of juice - yes, I'm looking at you, David's Tea Pink Lemonade! - and it is a nice change from my usual straight oolong. it smells delicious too!

I wanted to try another mate since I was not impressed by the only one I tried, Chocolate Rocket from David's Tea, and also because coffee is not recommended during topical steroid withdrawal. I wanted something to help me wake up in the morning since I have not been sleeping well for a couple of months now, so I am always very tired and a kind of lethargic. I was a bit disappointed by Mate Carnival since I could barely taste the coffe in it, even though there are broken coffee beans and coffee flavor in it. As for Choco Latté, I just could not resist! I mean, tea, coffee and chocolate, really?! While I can taste all of these ingredients, I do think this tea lacks a little something, although I am glad it is not overly sweet. Maybe next time I should try with almond milk?

I placed my order on August 3, it was shipped on August 8 and I received it on August 11, which is pretty good since on their website, Pretty Tea mentions that shipping usually takes 5-9 business days. They offer free shipping with $40 purchase, but if you don't qualify, the fees are only $4.95. Pretty Tea also includes free samples with every purchases - I received generous 25g samples of Peppery Grapefruit, Tea on the Beach and Pink Earl Grey (all green teas), which makes about two cups each. When I opened my package, I noticed there was two bags of some of the teas I ordered - at first I thought it was a mistake, but then I realized it was two 50g bags, which is actually great because that way I can open only one package at a time, not compromising the shelf life of the tea in the second bag. I don't know if this was intended or if they ran out of 100g bags but either way, it's convenient!

Pretty Tea don’t have a brick and mortar store for now but they ship to Canada and the US. I used code FF10 at checkout for 10% off, but I'm not sure if it's still working.

6 comments:

  1. If you are looking for another wonderful company, I highly recommend TeaLife... Rebecca.Tealife.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post about this tea company. I've been looking for a loose leaf tea company on line that has reasonable shipping. I placed an order today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad I could help! I hope you will like everything you ordered! x

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it if you do! x

      Delete