Cookies must be one of my favorite dessert to cook, especially when they call for ingredients that I already have in the pantry! I was in the mood for oatmeal so I decided to give this recipe from my mother's cooking book a try and the cookies turned out delicious!
You will need...
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, melted and cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used a $0.99 Easter bunny instead)
Preheat oven to 350°F and beat shortening and sugar until combined.
Add eggs, vanilla, oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, mixing until incorporated.
Add the the chocolate chips and mix well.
Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets and cook for maximum 10 minutes, or until cookies are golden. Be careful not to overcook or your cookies will be rock-hard!